Many moons ago, when my daughter was old enough to go on play dates with friends’ kids her age, my friends and I came up with tons of toddler-friendly activities to do with our tiny tots. Baking sugar cookies was one of those activities and this super easy sugar cookie recipe is a definite keeper.
We use this super easy sugar cookie recipe for all occasions. Christmas, Valentine’s Day, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving…you name it. We’ve got a sugar cookie for all occasions.
Ready for a super easy sugar cookie recipe?
Who doesn’t love a good sugar cookie recipe? Easy, simple, and fun.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 Tablespoons room temperature water
- PREHEAT oven to 350° F.
- In your mixing bowl, cream together your butter and sugar until smooth. Next, beat in your in vanilla and egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine your baking powder and salt with flour and add a little at a time to the wet ingredients.
- If the dough still looks too dry or stiff for your mixer, turn out the dough onto a clean working surface, flour surface as needed. Wet your hands and finish off kneading the dough by hand.
- Divide your dough into batches (2-3 sections), roll out onto a floured surface, and cut. You want these cookies to be close to ¼ inches.
- Bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes. You may have to bake in 2 batches. Let cool on the cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- Using a fork, stir the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, 4 Tablespoons of water together in a medium-sized bowl. It will be very thick and almost impossible to stir. Switch to a whisk and whisk in ½ Tablespoon of water. If you lift the whisk and let the icing drizzle back into the bowl, the ribbon of icing will hold shape for a few seconds before melting back into the icing. That is when you know it’s the right consistency and is ready to use. If it’s too thick (sometimes it is), whisk in another ½ Tablespoon of water or a little more until you reach the consistency. You can leave the icing white or separate into small bowls and add food colouring. The fun part is decorating your cookies!
While you’re making these cookies, you might as well make the icing to decorate the cookies with
This recipe is so easy that my daughter (now 13 years old) bakes these on her own. Her favourite part about making this easy sugar cookie recipe is decorating the cookies afterward
We have included an icing recipe. If you fave festive sprinkles and other decorations, add those too! We are obsessed with Wilton’s Christmas sprinkle and decorations! They’ve got a wide variety of festive sprinkles. They have snowflakes, tiny candy canes, and so much more. Wilton also has a cute Winter Cookie Cutter and Sprinkles Kit!
You may also like:
Let us know if you and your kids try this super easy sugar cookie recipe!
Leave a Reply