The case of the fluffy pancakes.
Little One loves waffles and pancakes, but she is very particular when it comes to pancakes. They have to be homemade (not from a boxed mix and not from frozen), and they have to be fluffy. The fluffier, the better, she says.
I have to admit, she is right. There’s nothing better than hot, buttery, fluffy pancakes! Little One cracks me up. She is only nine years old and says things like, “Why are those pancakes so thin? There’s a difference between crepes and pancakes.” She’s just lucky she didn’t say something like, “If I wanted a thin pancake, then I’d make myself a crepe!”
There really is something inviting about thick (but light), fluffy and airy pancakes. They have to be “as soft as pillows” according to Little One.
This recipe comes from my dad (whom Little One affectionately calls “Grampy”). Little One says Grampy makes the best, fluffiest, and most delicious pancakes and now I can make the best fluffy pancakes because I have Grampy’s recipe.
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 c milk
- 1/4 c melted butter
- 1 egg
- Combine your dry ingredients in a large bowl. In the centre, make a well and add your wet ingredients (milk, melted butter, egg). Whisk the wet ingredients together and then fold in the dry ingredients.
- Set batter aside to rest while you heat your non-stick pan on medium-low. Lightly grease your pan with butter and pour 1/4 c batter into pan. When outside of pancake is golden and you see bubbles begin to show around the sides, flip your pancake with a spatula. Cook until golden. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve with whatever accoutrements you wish. We like our pancakes with either fresh berries, our maple syrup that we make on our farm, local honey, or a strawberry or blueberry compote. Sometimes we put chocolate chips in them or on top of them. Sometimes we add sprinkles in them to make fairy pancakes or unicorn pancakes. The sky’s the limit. I’ve even made maple bacon pancakes.
Please excuse the photos. My 9 year old daughter took the photos for this post since I was too busy flipping pancakes! They were being consumed as quickly as I could make them!
You might also enjoy:
- Okonomiyaki – Japanese pancake/pizza
- Zippy Eggs & Bran Pancakes
- Donggrangdang (Little Korean pancakes made of pork, tofu, veggies)
- Macaroni & Cheese Pancakes
These fluffy pancakes are perfect for weekend brunch, breakfast for supper, Shrove Tuesday, or whenever you feel like having fluffy pancakes! If you try this recipe, let me know in the comments what you think.
Blessed holy socks, hehe! Breakfast is 7am every day! 😉
Lorraine, thanks for letting me know! So happy you guys love them!
I made these and they were spectacular. My husband and I love them and have them every Sunday now. Our grandchildren love them too.
-blessed holy socks says
What time’s breakfast, dear?