Thai Coconut Chicken Curry is another one of my favourite Thai dishes. The bit of heat, the layers of flavour, the aromatics, the creaminess from the coconut milk…What’s not to love?
I have to admit that when I taught my first Thai cooking class, I made the curry to the heat level I am accustomed to. I didn’t realize that it would be too hot for some people’s palates. For every Thai cooking class I taught after that, I lowered the intensity of the heat a bit.
One of the secret ingredients in the Thai Coconut Chicken Curry is fish sauce. People are always surprised when I tell them there is fish sauce in there, but it is actually a very common ingredient in Thai (and in Filipino) dishes. Because fish sauce and soy sauce are already salty, I do not add extra salt to the dish. I actually find it salty enough, and for those who do not add salt to their food, they may think that the soup is salty. However, for die hard Thai food lovers, Thai Coconut Chicken Curry is a favourite – especially served alongside a bowl of steamed rice!
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, sliced into thin 2 to 3 inch strips
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock (store-bought or homemade)
- 2 medium sized potatoes, diced small
- 1 large tomato, diced small
- 1 stalk lemongrass, halved *
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 3 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp Thai green curry paste
- Homemade curry paste:
- ½ c chopped onion
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¾ tsp crushed dried chili flakes
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- GARNISH (all optional)
- chopped fresh cilantro
- lime wedges
- chopped red onion
- If you are using store-bought/already prepared curry paste, heat oil in skillet or wok and add paste. Cook it until you the aromatics are released. If you are preparing your own curry paste, heat vegetable oil in a skillet or wok. Add onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric, cumin, coriander, chili flakes, brown sugar, and cook until your curry paste is smelling very fragrant.
- Add 2 more Tbsp oil into skillet or wok, and add the chicken pieces and stir-fry, making sure to cook chicken evenly and coat in curry paste.
- Add potatoes, lime juice, fish sauce, chicken stock, and coconut milk, and bring to a gentle boil.
- Add tomatoes. Add lemongrass. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir, and let simmer another 15 minutes.
- Serve this with a bowl of steamed rice and garnish Thai Coconut Chicken Curry with cilantro and whatever garnishes you wish.
- * Make sure to remove the lemongrass stalks. They're very fibrous!
When we have Thai nights in our house, I usually make my Pad Thai, Thai Mango Salad, and this Thai Coconut Chicken Curry.
What’s your favourite Thai dish?