I know. Three-ingredient homemade cheese recipe? I kid you not, my friends. We go through cheese like crazy in this house. I even have a monthly “cheese allowance” for when I go to our local fromagerie. I love cheese that much! Really.
I cannot live without my Bella Vitano Balsamic, Bella Vitano Merlot, applewood smoked Gouda, Huntsman, Brie, Camembert, and Guinness cheese.
Little One has acquired her mama’s love of good cheese. She has recently taken up making homemade cheese. She is obsessed!
Seriously, this recipe is so easy. If my 8 year old daughter can do it, anyone can do it. First, start by measuring out 4 cups of milk (cow’s milk or goat milk). You can even make it vegan cheese if you want by using soy milk. I’ve been told that the Fresh Cheese Maker doesn’t work with almond milk or coconut milk because the fat proteins.
Pop the milk in the cheese maker and into the microwave it goes. Little One cooks it for 10 minutes and then gives it a tap and a stir, and puts it for another minute or so.
Measure and add your acid. You can use lemon or vinegar. We have found that the vinegar works better for us.
Get ready to separate the curds and whey!
You can toss the whey out, but we’re a frugal farming family and do not put anything to waste. We reserve the whey and add it to our soups and smoothies for extra protein. Farmer John wants me to use the whey in homemade bread recipes.
So far, my favourite homemeade cheese recipe of hers is one made with garlic and herbs from my garden that I had dried this Summer! When she makes her plain fresh cheese, it’s pretty mild. I like to use that in lasagna as I would ricotta. With the plain fresh cheese, we usually top it with a zippy red pepper jelly that one of our fellow farmers makes. It’s amazing on top of crackers.
Incidentally, this is not a sponsored post! 😉 I don’t know why I felt compelled to announce that, but just in case you thought I was getting paid to write about this, I’m not. We just love this recipe and this cheese maker.
- 4 C (1 L) milk or soy milk
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice or 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp (20 ml) vinegar
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) Sea Salt (Grinder), or 1 Tbsp (15 ml) dip mix, your choice
- Pour your choice of milk into the bowl of the Fresh Cheese Maker and microwave on high for 12–14 minutes.
- Remove from microwave with mitts. IMPORTANT: Take a spoon and gently tap around the edge of the bowl to ensure the milk separates from the sides.
- Measure and add your choice of acid using the lid, then add seasoning and stir until mixed. Let rest for 30 minutes on your counter.
- In your kitchen sink, pour the liquid and cheese from the bowl into the colander. With a spoon, pat down the top of the cheese to flatten it out evenly.
- Place the colander in the bowl and top with lid. Put in your fridge to set for at least one hour.
- Remove from fridge. On a plate, turn the colander upside down and gently press on the sides until the cheese releases. Enjoy your fresh cheese!
Now that Little One has perfected her fresh cheese-making skills, she wants to learn how to make other kinds of cheese. Hmmm…Wonder if there are any workshops around for 8 year olds? Oops. Make that 9 year old! She is turning 9 in two weeks! Gah!!!
Now that you know how to make your own cheese, will you and your kids be trying this homemade cheese recipe?