I remember the day my family became pet people. Growing up, we had a few pets (fancy Japanese goldfish like Ryukin and Lionhead, tropical fish, and we also had turtles, hamsters and a cat. However, it wasn’t until Chance entered my life that I really felt like I was a pet person.
Because of Chance, we are pet people
Chance was only six weeks old when he came to live with me. He was the runt of the litter and he was a little fuzz ball when all his litter mates looked like sleek black labs. Chance was an adorable puppy, who grew up to be my faithful and loyal friend and Little One’s protector.
He’s now thirteen years old and really showing his age. I cherish the time we have with him and am happy to see he still enjoys going for walks in the woods and he still entertains the antics of our younger dog, Cupcake. Chance brings such joy to our lives, which is why feeding him food that supports cognitive health in adult dogs is so important to me.
I’m excited to announce that I am part of the Purina Pet People Ambassador Program! Though Chance has been with us for nearly fourteen years, I’m by no means a pet expert. This said, I’m excited about the Purina Pet People Ambassadorship and with the help of the experts at Purina Canada, I will be able to share advice from the pet experts when it comes to pet nutrition and other pet-related topics.
Keeping pets active and healthy
Keeping our dogs healthy means making sure they are active and that they have proper nutrition based on their needs (age, size, etc). Some things I think are important when being a pet owner:
- Exercise: Daily walks for dogs, and activities that challenge them keep our dogs’ minds sharp. I like to play hide and seek with Chance, where I hide dog treats and then let Chance sniff his way to the treats. It’s a game he enjoys and it tests his sniffing skills (and problem solving skills). Cupcake is impatient and doesn’t play this game well yet.
- Consistency: When training dogs, consistency and patience are key. Admittedly, I haven’t had as much time to devote to training Cupcake as I did with Chance. Cupcake is still a young dog and is still learning. She’s super smart, but very energetic and she really needs lots of attention. I’m learning that she responds very well when she has all of our attention. When she doesn’t, she sometimes gets into mischief (like going after our chickens and taunting the bunnies).
- Positive reinforcement: Rewarding good behaviour is important. Lots of praise when your puppy or dog does something good only reinforces that good behaviour. Whenever Cupcake and Chance listen well or do something we ask them to do (like bring the ball or sit or stay), a “Good boy!” or “Good girl!” and lots of affectionate praise is what they love. Okay, they really love the occasional treat too!
- Visits to the vet: Keeping up to date with vaccinations and making sure pet’s overall health is taken care of are imperative when it comes to being a good pet person.
- Proper nutrition: I mentioned that pet nutrition and cognitive health is important to me when it comes to our pets. I’m excited about Purina® Pro Plan® Bright Mind™ Adult.
Purina® Pro Plan® Bright Mind™ Adult is one of Purina’s newest launches this year.
Here are some details about Bright Mind Adult:
High- quality protein, including chicken as the first ingredient
Includes a blend of brain supporting nutrients for cognitive health
Optimal levels of protein and fat help dogs maintain an ideal body condition
Rich in anti-oxidants to help promote a healthy immune system
Vitamin A and linoleic acid, an omega 6 fatty acid, for healthy skin and coat
When fed daily, will help support a dog’s cognitive health throughout adulthood
In addition to the Adult formula, Pro Plan also offers Bright Mind Adult 7+, which launched last fall and is designed for senior dogs. This product was created out of proprietary research that shows enhanced botanical oils provide an efficient fuel source for the brain in dogs, ages 7 and older, helping to nourish their minds to help them think more like they did when they were younger.
For more information, visit www.TryProPlan.ca
Calling all pet people! We love our pets and ensuring that they are healthy and happy is what we want most for them. Chance, Cupcake (and our cats, Spike and Princess Peach) fill our days with laughter and love. If you have pets, you’ll likely relate!
The great people at Purina Canada want to give lucky Life on Manitoulin readers a chance to win a Purina Pro Plan Bright Mind Prize Pack (including a $25 VISA gift card, plus coupons for a 3 month supply of Pro Plan Bright Mind Adult). This giveaway is open to residents of Canada (excl. Quebec). To enter, simply use the Rafflecopter form below. Make sure to leave a comment in the comments section telling me one thing you do to ensure your dog is healthy and active.
Purina Canada website https://www.purina.ca/
Disclosure – This is a sponsored post, however, all thoughts and opinions expressed on this blog are honest and my own.