We’re getting really excited with Christmas being just around the corner! The countdown is on and nothing puts me in the Christmas spirit like doing some Christmas baking with Little One and watching some Christmas movies as a family! It’s been a tradition for me ever since I was a child. I knew Christmas was coming as soon as all my favourite classic Christmas movies and TV shows aired.
While we prepare to watch some of our favourite Christmas movies on Netflix, we’ve been thinking of our favourite Christmas cookie and brownie recipes.
Here are some of our favourites:
Christmas Tree Brownies
For the brownies, I use my Mother-in-law’s brownie recipe for every type of brownie I make. For the reindeer, I just put the batter in cupcake liners and decorated them to look like reindeer. For the Christmas tree brownies, I used the same batter, but decorated them to look like Christmas trees. They’re not really fancy. They’re just regular chocolate brownies all dressed up for the holidays!
- 1/2 c melted butter (you can used 1/2 c vegetable oil instead if you wish)
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla (I use my homemade vanilla, but vanilla extract works well too)
- 1/2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 c all purpose flour
- Grease 8 inch square baking dish (I doubled the recipe for the Christmas tree brownies and used a 9 x 13 in pan and for the reindeer brownies, I used cupcake tin). Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, add melted butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and mix together. Add cocoa powder, flour, salt and baking powder and mix well. Add chocolate chips and combine well. You can use a mixer or you can mix by hand.
- Spread batter evenly in baking pan (or scoop into cupcake liners)
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 min. ** If using 9 x 13 pan, bake for 20-30 min. Make sure you do not overcook the brownies. They’re supposed to be ooey-gooey, moist and melty!
The above Christmas treats pair well with our favourite Christmas movies on Netflix!I have to say that Little One discovered In Search of Santa Paws last week and it is now her favourite movie. It’s the prequel to Disney’s holiday hit, Santa Buddies. It’s up to puppy, Paws to save the spirit of Christmas when Santa’s memory fades.
If you have young children, please be warned that this sweet family movie does have some sad parts. Little One was in tears while watching some of the scenes. To be honest, it tugged at the heart strings to watch her watching the movie.
A Netflix Giveaway!
Last year, we gifted my parents and my brother each a Netflix subscription. For those hard-to-buy-for people on your list (or to avoid buying “stuff” for people), a Netflix subscription is a great gift idea! We like watching movies, TV shows, documentaries, and Little One likes watching educational shows and some movies and other kids’ programs.
In the spirit of the holidays, I am giving away the gift of Netflix to TWO Life on Manitoulin readers! Do you want to win 1 of 2 six-month Netflix subscriptions? To enter, just fill out this Rafflecopter form below. Let me know in the comments section which family holiday show or movie you plan to watch on Netflix this month!
Disclosure: I am a member of the Netflix #StreamTeam. As a member of this program, I will be providing thoughts and recommendations about movies and shows currently showing on Netflix. As always, all thoughts and opinions expressed on this blog are honest and my own.