Growing up in the city, I had allergies. I remember when I was maybe ten or twelve, I had a skin prick test done and the results showed that I was hypersensitive to dust, mold, animal dander, smoke and a few other allergens. Now, I live on a farm where I am exposed to many of those allergens daily. While these sensitivities aren’t life-threatening to me, I do experience respiratory issues and end up with my skin burning, itchy, swollen, red, and inflamed.
Over the years, some sensitivities have subsided considerably (like my reaction to animal dander). I’m not sure if it’s because perhaps regular exposure to our pets have helped my immunity or maybe I outgrew the sensitivity. This said, other sensitivities have appeared, like reactions to fragrances, wool, and green apples. These make me very ill within moments of contact or interaction.
Something that has always been on my mind has been how to manage seasonal allergies and prevent my family from viruses.
I have seasonal allergies and though we haven’t had our little one tested yet, I suspect she may have them as well. Another thing is that she respiratory issues (probably resulting from being a preemie) and whenever there’s a virus that goes around school, she gets it and gets hit hard.
Some Tips on How to Manage Seasonal Allergies and Prevent Your Family From Viruses
- Get a handle on mold. Airborne mold from vegetation can trigger allergic reactions. I’ve seen this with my brother, who has a life-threatening allergy to mold and fungi. He cannot be anywhere near mushrooms, or it’s time to administer his Epi-Pen! As for household mold (like in the bathtub) will likely not bother unless disturbed and the spores become airborne. Steve Maxwell has some great mold-fighting tips. He even shares a DIY video on how to kill household mold.
- Control pollen? Of course we cannot control pollen, because pollen can travel far and wide distances. We can, however, keep our windows shut in our house and keep our car windows shut as well.
- Allergy treatment. There are many kinds of allergy treatments available for seasonal allergy sufferers. To help with the itchy, burning eyes, runny nose, stuffiness, and other symptoms, there are antihistamines and decongestants. There are also natural remedies like local honey, probiotics, nettle leaf, etc. What I have found extremely helpful is my beloved Neti Pot. My Neti Pot has been my saviour. The sterile saline solution flushes out the sinuses of allergens and irritations. I swear by my Neti Pot. I feel instant relief after using it.
- Eliminating animal dander. Love pets, but are allergic? Protein found in saliva, dead skin scales (dander), or urine from an animal with fur is likely the culprit. To eliminate this allergen, remove the pet from your environment.
Of course, that is easier said than done. For those of us who are pet lovers, this is no easy feat. We simply cannot give up our pets even if it means reacting adversely. There are some ways to help manage and reduce allergens though. For example, choosing hardwood floors over carpet and brushing your dog outdoors.
- Get rid of dust mites. Dust mites are tiny creatures that feed on dust and their fecal matter is what contains allergens. Cleaning surfaces regularly and washing bedding often and in high heat can help. Allergy-proof covers are available for pillows and bedding. Another thing that is very helpful for managing allergies and preventing viruses is the Hoover FloorMate® SteamScrub™ 2-IN-1.
Hoover’s new FloorMate® SteamScrub™ 2-IN-1 is the dual-purpose unit revitalizes both hardwood, carpeted, and other household surfaces to remove even the most stubborn set-in stains with SteamStream™ Technology.
The lightweight design (8 lbs) and detachable Lift-Away Steamer option, allows you to steam any hard to reach surface with hand-held convenience. Complete with 12 additional tools and accessories, including the Tile & Grout Scrub Brush, Upholstery Cloth, Steam Connector Hose, Carpet Glider (and more!), the SteamScrub™ 2-IN-1 can tackle any stain or surface!
Hoover offers features like Fast Heating Time, and Trigger Controlled Steam, to take the hassle out of household cleaning tasks. The Trigger Controlled Steam function, gives you control over steam strength according to the surface. Both features accelerate cleaning time, helping you get the job done faster!
Many don’t realize what lies beneath household surfaces. Dust and dust mites, skin cells, bacteria, viruses, pollen, animal dander, mold, mildew, and other harmful material can make home and multiply in our home! Often, in the hard-to-reach places that we lose sight of. Using the FloorMate® SteamScrub™ 2-IN-1 will kill 99% of harmful bacteria on sealed hard floors.
To manage seasonal allergies and prevent your family from viruses, use Hoover’s FloorMate® SteamScrub™ 2-IN-1 to combat daily grime. With Twin Tank Technology, the unit separates clean water from the solution, giving you the option to clean with or without solution for a light to intense steam cleaning.
I’ve been using the Hoover FloorMate® SteamScrub™ 2-IN-1 for the past few months and have noticed a considerable difference in my own health.
Disclosure – I received a Hoover’s FloorMate® SteamScrub™ 2-IN-1 to facilitate this post. All thoughts and opinions expressed on this blog are honest and my own.