It’s that time of the year again! For many of us in Ontario, school starts next week! Some schools have already started their school year, but Little One goes back after Labour Day long weekend. This may sound a bit crazy, but I’m super excited about back to school bento box lunches! You’ve had two months of not seeing my daily kids’ bento box posts on Instagram! Well, September is here and let the Instagram bento posts begin! Sorry, not sorry! 🙂
Little One and I enjoy making healthy lunches together.
Some things I think that are helpful in sending kids to school with healthy lunches:
- Lots of colourful fruits and vegetables. Little One knows she needs to “eat a rainbow” every meal, every day!
- Being creative!
- Letting your kids help out with choosing what they’d like to have for lunch. Give them a few items to choose from and let them select. By giving them the choice from what your few suggestions, you’re ensuring that they’re not choosing to have S’mores or jelly beans for lunch!
- Let your kids help with the prep! I know that you probably just want to get everything done quickly, but I find that when Little One creates her own edible masterpiece, she’s more apt to eat it all because SHE made it. Maybe it’s just her, but she’s fiercely proud of her creations and kitchen concoctions!
- Back to school food organization! Make sure to have different containers with cut up veggies or fruit ready to go.
- Pack lunches in bento box or food containers with snap on lids. I’ve recently given away all my old containers and sold a bunch at a yard sale recently and I replaced them with Snapware containers.
SNAPWARE® | BENTO BOX LUNCHES IN A SNAP
- A great bento box contains a variety of foods and also contains items from the basic food groups. I make sure Little One’s lunches include vegetable, grain, protein, fruit and dairy.
- Nothing’s worse than packing a great lunch and it gets all soggy from moisture or wet items touching dry items. I use silicone muffin liners as dividers to keep items from touching each other. I also use little containers to put dips or hummus in so they don’t spill all over the rest of the food. Small containers for yogurt or homemade applesauce are a good idea too.
- People think I spend a long time on making Little One’s lunches. I fool everyone all the time. We use cookie cutters to make shapes (veggies, fruit, bread, cheese, etc). Plus, most of the time it’s not even me making them! I get Little One to do all the shapes with the cookie cutters! She’s six years old and able to help make her lunches!
I’ve found that Snapware’s airtight food storage containers are perfect for Little One. They’re light weight and come in a variety of different sizes and shapes.
- Snapware Total Solution Plastic 3.01c/712mL Small Short Rectangle
- Snapware Total Solution Plastic 5.02c/1.18L Small Medium Rectangle
- Snapware Total Solution Plastic 8.39c/1.98L Medium Short Rectangle
- Snapware Total Solution Plastic 1.34c/317mL Small
- Snapware Total Solution Plastic 5.35c/1.26L Medium Short Square
- Snapware Total Solution Plastic 1.21c/286mL Small Short Round
- Snapware Total Solution Plastic 2.01c/476mL Small Tall Round
- Snapware Small Rectangle Ice Pack 2 pack
- Snapware Medium Square Ice Pack 2 pack
Airtight lunch containers are a must. You don’t want any leaky mess in your kid’s lunchbox or school bag, do you?
Check out some of the helpful tips for packing lunches that Snapware has to share!
Here are a few bento box ideas for Little One’s back to school lunches!
I asked my six year old to help me put together some Back to School Bento Box Lunches for the first week of school. This is what she came up with. She selected all the menu items. As you can see, she loves cucumbers (it’s in all of her lunches). I was actually surprised with her selections because usually Little One is not a sandwich or bread kind of kid. She generally prefers noodles, rice dishes, potato dishes, soups, chili or sushi for her school lunches.
What would you pack for a tasty bento box lunch?
Follow and connect with Snapware on Social
To help you prepare some tasty, healthy, fun bento box lunches for your kids now that they’re back to school, we’re giving away (thanks to the great people at World Kitchen/Snapware) (1) Snapware®Total Solution™ 16-Pc Glass And Plastic Boxed Set to one lucky Life on Manitoulin reader.
To enter, simply use the Rafflecopter form below. Giveaway open to residents of the U.S. and Canada.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
You may also be interested in:
- 16 Back-t0-School School Lunches
- Healthy Kids’ Lunchbox Ideas
- 6 Bento Lunch Tips
- 5 Quick & Easy Bento Lunches for Kids
- 5 Easy Halloween Bento Lunches for Kids
Disclosure – I received products from World Kitchen to facilitate this post. As always, all thoughts and opinions expressed on this blog are honest and my own.