School is almost out and Summer is officially here! There’s nothing better than spending the afternoons out on the patio with loved ones.
We spend a lot of time on our patio. As soon as the weather warms up, we’re out there having dinner every evening. My patio is also my oasis. It’s a place I go to for some quiet time with a cool beverage in hand or a cup of tea. It’s also a place where I can work if I want to. Since I work from home, anywhere that has wi-fi can be my office for the day! If Little One is playing on the trampoline or with the dogs, I can be outside working and keeping an eye on her.
Since we pretty much live outdoors, patio entertaining is important to me. It’s a huge part of our lives. I love cooking, entertaining and being on the patio, so patio entertaining is something we do several times a week! We have dinner guests at our farm regularly!
7 Tips for Perfect Patio Entertaining
1. Solace in the shade. If you don’t already have some sort of shade or covering, it’s a good idea to have. It serves as a bit of protection from the elements. Having a bit of protection from the sun is a good idea not only for your family, but for your furry family members as well. Our dogs seek refuge from the hot sun by laying on the patio underneath the gazebo. We have a netted gazebo that has come in very handy.
2. Comfy chairs. Have ample seating and make sure you have comfy chairs. Many of us don’t think of it, but a good chair is important. Not only should your patio chairs be comfortable, but they should also be good for your back.
3. Good eats! Food nourishes our bodies, but it is also what we celebrate with. Food is very much a social thing. It brings people together. For perfect patio entertaining, have a variety of dishes available. Summer dining is easy if you have several simple and quick options. For instance, a few salads (garden salad, quinoa salad, pasta salad, potato salad, etc), a charcuterie board with assorted meats of your choosing, a cheese platter, fruit platter, veggie platter, and if you want to fire up the BBQ, grill some steaks (or burgers or kebabs)! Plus, having menu items that are “self-serve” means you don’t have to serve everyone! I love the idea of guests being able to help themselves!
4. Music is love. Whether you bring out the CD player and play your favourite Summer tunes or have friends bring over their guitars so they can jam, music is always part of perfect patio dining.
5. Keep guests hydrated! Having a variety of beverages that will keep your guests cool and hydrated is important. Water with a splash of citrus or some freshly brewed iced tea or some homemade strawberry lemonade served from glass beverage dispensers with a spigot are always a hit.
6. Celebrate and decorate! For me, every day is worth celebrating. We don’t always have a special occasion to celebrate, but we celebrate anyway. Our patio is pretty festive with Little One’s choice of patio lanterns and freshly picked flowers from the garden. Little One loves putting whatever flowers are in bloom into a glass vase and setting it on our table so we can enjoy them while we dine outdoors.
7. Mosquitoes be gone! There’s nothing worse than trying to enjoy a lovely afternoon on the patio when you’re being eaten alive by mosquitoes! I actually thought living in Northern Ontario would mean we didn’t have mosquitoes, but boy, was I wrong! We do everything possible to try not to get attacked by mosquitoes while enjoying patio time! In keeping with the decorating idea, PIC (Pest Free Living) has some products that are aesthetically pleasing and functional.
Not only do the citronella lanterns and streamers add charm to your patio, but their citronella strength repels mosquitoes for up to 48 hours. The streamers and lanterns are perfect for parties, BBQs and picnics. We love how festive it makes the patio look! All you have to do is hang, drape and enjoy! The natural oils used that repel mosquitoes are citronella oil and lemongrass oil.
We noticed that there didn’t seem to be any mosquitoes “bugging” us when we hung the lanterns and streamers up on the gazebo. I was surprised at how potent (in a good way!) the citronella scent was. I really enjoy the citronella scent.