The temperature is cooler and the air a little crisper. The trees are almost bare. Winter is definitely on its way.
“You do have a carbon monoxide detector, don’t you?” asked my mother-in-law the other day. She also informed me that Ontario has made installing carbon monoxide alarms in homes a mandatory act. Thank goodness for that!
As the temperature gets cooler, Island dwellers are starting up our furnaces, wood stoves and heaters again. It is so important for everyone to be mindful of their family’s safety when it comes to carbon monoxide.
Duracell and First Alert’s top five Carbon Monoxide tips for winter:
- Get a professional to check your furnace, your appliances and ensure your chimney is cleaned properly.
- Install at least one carbon monoxide alarm with an audible warning signal near the sleeping areas in your home, and have at least one alarm on each level.
- During power outages, if running a generator be sure to operate it in a well-ventilated area.
- Use the time change this month as a reminder to test your carbon monoxide detector and change its batteries with Duracell AA batteries.
- While it may be tempting to warm up the car on cold days, don’t leave your car running in the garage even if the garage door is open.
For more on carbon monoxide prevention be sure to check out the First Alert website at www.firstalert.ca. Duracell 9V and AA batteries are available at mass retailers nationwide for a suggested MRP of $7.99 (2pk and 8pk respectively).
The First Alert Plug-in Carbon Monoxide Alarm easily plugs into any standard outlet with no additional mounting necessary. Mute button silences any nuisance alarms. Single button also tests detector functions. This detector utilizes an electrochemical sensor for increased accuracy. 7-year limited warranty. Meets UL standards.
Get dependable, long-lasting power from CopperTop batteries. These batteries have been engineered to deliver the power you need for all your household devices. And because Duracell is the #1 trusted brand of parents, pharmacists, and first responders, you know it’s a battery you can trust.
- Duralock Power Preserve™ Technology. Guaranteed for 10 years in storage
- 100% checked for quality assurance*
To help get you and your family on the right track for the winter season, Life on Manitoulin readers will be able to enter for a chance to win a Carbon Monoxide Safety prize pack valued at nearly $45*, including:
To enter, fill out the Rafflecopter form below. Open to residents of Canada. Ends November 29, 2014.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclosure: I am a P&Gmom/mamanP&G. As part of my affiliation with this group I receive products and special access to P&G events and opportunities. The opinions on this blog are my own.