One of my favourite things to do is to cook and bake for loved ones. Though I’m not too big on sweets, I do love the feeling I get from friends and family when they share a home-cooked meal at our farm and dessert time comes rolling around. Hubby loves it too because we normally don’t have dessert! I only reserve dessert for special occasions or a treat every now and then.
When my friend told me that she absolutely loves Tiramisu, I decided to make it for her birthday. Because of its richness and decadence, I don’t make it too often. I save it for special days…like birthdays!
- 500 g Mascarpone cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 oz rum
- 1 tsp. vanilla (I use my homemade vanilla)
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup Espresso (if you don't have espresso, a good dark roast coffee will do!)
- 1 package of Lady Fingers (Savoiardi biscuits)
- ½ tsp. cocoa
- chocolate embellishments (to garnish)
- In a food processor, combine Mascarpone cheese, egg, rum, vanilla, and sugar until smooth. Arrange Lady Fingers in a single layer in the bottom of a 9×13 pan or casserole dish. A trifle dish is great too so you can see the layers of Tiramisu.
- Drizzle half of the Espresso over the Lady Finger biscuits and then spoon half the cheese mixture over coffee-drenched Lady Fingers.
- Repeat with second layer. If you're using a trifle bowl, repeat layering steps a few times.
- Dust top with cocoa. Refrigerate for overnight. If you allow to refrigerate for 24 hrs, the flavours are so much more pronounced. Garnish with chocolate embellishment.
Enjoy! This really is a fast and easy Tiramisu recipe!