I am not going to lie. I did not come up with this recipe. This was the brain child of my five year old daughter. Yes, Little One decided it would be a great treat to make because A) “Blueberries and lemon go well together because they’re best friends” (according to five year old!), B) Little One loves tapioca pudding because it’s not too sweet, and C) She likes whipped cream and was coming up with ideas for things we could put whipped cream on!
- ½ cup small pearl tapioca (not the instant kind)
- 3 cups milk (for my other tapioca recipes I use coconut milk)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, whisked
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- zest of ½ a lemon
- ½ cup of fresh blueberries
- Additional blueberries to garnish
- Gay Lea Whipped Cream (to garnish)
- Combine tapioca, milk, and salt in a pot on medium high heat.
- Stir until boiling. Let simmer 5 minutes, uncovered at the lowest heat setting.
- Add sugar gradually.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs and then mix in some of the hot tapioca very slowly. This is important. It enables you to equalize the temperature of the two mixtures so that the mixture does not curdle.
- Return beaten eggs and tapioca mixture to the pot with the remaining tapioca.
- Slowly bring mixture barely to a boil, and make sure to stir constantly.
- Reduce heat and stir for a few minutes at a low simmer, stirring constantly until you get a nice thick pudding consistency.
- Cool 15 minutes. Add blueberries, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Add extra blueberries and garnish with Gay Lea Whipped Cream and lemon zest!
- Serve either warm or chilled.
Little One is right. Blueberry and lemon are the perfect marriage. The lemon just lifts the flavour and makes everything all the more refreshing! Little One is a big blueberry fan. We really love “the Blueberry Man”, as Little One calls him. Picking blueberries is a labour-intensive job! Thank you, Blueberry Man, for our fresh Northern Ontario blueberry treasures!
Want to win 12 Free Gay Lea products?
Just think about all the fresh fruit or delectable treats you can cover with Gay Lea Whipped Cream! Note: The 12 Free Product Coupons (FPCs) will expire in October 2014! Giveaway open to residents of Canada, excluding Quebec. You must be 18 years or older to enter.
Enter to Win an Epic Outdoor/Backyard Party Kit!
Grand prize: Win a perfect patio entertaining kit this summer! Valued at $250, one grand prize winner across all of the #GayLeaFoods mom blogs!
- BBQ Utensil Kit
- Cornhole Game
- 4 Plates
- 4 Side Plates
- Big Bowl
- Place Mats
- Picnic Basket
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Program with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.