Sing it with me… School’s out for Summer!
Today is the last day of school, and it’s also the last day of Senior Kindergarten for Little One.
I know what you might be thinking. “Suck it up, Buttercup!” It’s only kindergarten. I can’t help it. I get weepy about these things. It’s a milestone. Sure, it’s not university or anything, but it’s still a big milestone in her life. Every milestone is an important one.
It really feels like just yesterday that all three grandparents walked her to the bus stop on her first day of school and waited for the bus with her. It’s a tradition we started when she entered Junior Kindergarten. Watching my little munchkin climb into the bus with a backpack bigger than her and seeing her sink into the front seat and press her tiny face against the window just made me so weepy.
Can’t believe she’s going into grade one in the Fall!
Summer Staycation begins today!
Instead of obsessing about Little One going into grade one in the Fall, I’ve come up with a list of some fun Summer Staycation activities for families.
- Hit the beach! We are fortunate to be living on an island where there are beaches just minutes away in every direction. Picnics on the beach, swimming, playing in the sand, enjoying an ice cream cone…this all screams Summer to me! Just make sure to bring a beach umbrella, sunblock and UV protective bathing suits! Not to sound like an after-school special, but it’s important to protect your family from the sun’s harmful rays. Bring lots of water to keep hydrated too!
- Take a hike! Pack some healthy snacks and water, and go for a nature walk or hike with the family! Kids get to learn about the local flora and fauna, and the whole family keeps active outdoors!
- Visit your local farmers’ market! Summertime is a great season for sampling local produce! Bring the kids to the farmers’ market so they can see what’s in season! Get them to choose which fruits and veggies they want and get them to help you cook dinner with your local produce!
- Visit one new place a week! Going on adventures and visiting a new place is always fun…especially when you make it a family activity! We often never travel in our “own backyard”, so why not visit places in your neighbourhood, town, city or province that you have never visited before? You can get the kids to do some research with you (make it a family thing!), and find spots of interest! Ooooh! A haunted house? Maybe that one is not a good idea for younger kids! How about a historic site? A cool place to eat? Oh, the possibilities are endless!
- Canoe/Paddle/Kayak! Spending time at the lake is a fun thing to do with the family. Canoe/paddle/kayak adventures are great Summer Staycation activities the entire family can enjoy.
- Get a dose of culture! Our little one enjoys visiting museums and art galleries. She also loves going to outdoor concerts. Exposing children to the arts is just as important as introducing them to outdoor activities!
- Go camping! Whether it be camping at a campground or provincial park or spending the night backyard tenting, some of the best family memories are made on camping trips! Roast marshmallows, make S’mores, and tell stories by the campfire! Stay awake a little longer and go stargazing with the kids! Ahhhh! Summer!
- Chocolate Chips
- Mini Marshmallows
- Waffle cones (I suppose any ice cream cone will do though)
- You will also need tin foil to wrap your cones in.
- Fill waffle cones with marshmallows and chocolate chips (You can use Kinder chocolate as well!)
- Wrap each cone in foil.
- Cook on campfire. It’s super hot, so make sure adults handle the hot Smore cones.
This was an idea from one of the moms from Little One’s Sparks unit.
- Just HAVE FUN! Sometimes just hanging out with the family and just relaxing and having fun together is the perfect activity!
Little One loves sharing her Kinder Surprise with her friends and cousins. Sometimes a little Kinder treat and hours of fun playing make for an enjoyable afternoon.
We’ve actually made S’mores with Little One’s Kinder chocolate! Little One thought it was sacrilegious, because “Kinder Surprise is supposed to just be eaten as a chocolate egg, Mama!”
She doesn’t know I’ve made her hot chocolate with it before and have even added it to baking! She’s such a stickler for rules.
Connect with Kinder Canada here:
Have a safe and happy Summer vacation, everyone!
Are you traveling this Summer? If not, what are some of your Summer Staycation plans?
Disclosure: I’m part of the Kinder® Mom program and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation withthis group. The opinions on this blog are my own.