There once lived a humble beef farmer whose family lived a simple life. They were frugal, but happy and no matter how challenging things got on the farm, they always had a roof over their heads, food in their bellies and love in their hearts.
The beef farmer’s wife and child loved their soups and veggies, but the beef farmer was a meat and potatoes man. What better marriage than beets coupled with beef? The beef farmer ended up loving his borscht. The wee one did too. The wee one loved her sour cream too and could often be found polishing off an entire tub of sour cream…straight!
- 1½ lb beets, washed/peeled/cubed
- 2 medium potatoes, washed/peeled/cubed
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled/diced
- 4 cups purple (or green) cabbage, diced
- 3 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- salt & black pepper
- 1 can diced tomato, drained (14.5 oz)
- 8 c water
- oil for cooking
- In a dutch oven on medium high, heat oil. Sautee onion and garlic. Add ground beef. Brown meat.
- Add in beets, carrots and potatoes. Stir so vegetables do not stick to bottom of dutch oven. Cook until beets soften.
- Add cabbage and stir. Stir in diced tomatoes, sugar, vinegar and season with salt and black pepper.
- Add water and bring to boil. Let simmer for 40-50 min.