Every year, my friends and I get together to bake Christmas cookies with all of our kids! This year, we were all so busy, that we only made it a morning event instead of the usual all day event that we do. We normally have cookie decorating, making our own homemade Christmas ornaments, and an Olde Fashioned Christmas Gift Exchange (we have to MAKE the gifts)! Instead, I had a cookie exchange to attend right after and some of the kids had to rush off to hockey.
I had Little One’s friends over the night before, so what did I do? I employed child labour and made the children bake batch after batch of cookies for my Christmas cookie exchange! Uh huh! I sure did! Before you call the authorities on me for employing child labour, let me tell you that the children had a blast! They didn’t consider it work at all and enjoyed baking the cookies (and sneaking in a couple while they thought I wasn’t looking)! Little One ate half a container of Gay Lea Sour Cream straight! She surprised her friends!
You thought I was joking when I said I made the kids work in the kitchen, right? Oh, no. We had an assembly line going.
More of the fruits of their labour…
Then they all passed out.
In case you’re interested in the TRIPLE Chocolate Sour Cream Cookies, here’s the recipe!
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Gay Lea butter
- ½ cup Gay Lea sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (you could use vanilla extract, but I used my homemade vanilla)
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup baking cocoa (I know it sounds like a lot!)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet or milk chocolate chips
- ½ cup Christmas-coloured M&Ms (or any green and red chocolate candy)
- Cream butter and sugars together in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, sour cream and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients.
- Gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in chips & Christmas-coloured M&Ms.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until set.
- Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Blogger Campaign with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.
Victoria Ess says
Yum! I wish I read about these during Christmas!
Triple chocolate! My favourite kind of chocolate!
Those are very colourful and tasty looking.
Thanks, Maggie!!! 🙂