Lately, I’ve been on a coconut kick. I don’t know why, but I am really craving coconut these days. I’ve found that my tastes have changed in the past few years. While I loved all things chocolate in the past, my new favourites are lime, lemon, and coconut. Give me anything with any of those three ingredients, and I’m a happy girl.
We’ve had a bumper crop of strawberries, so I’ve been exhausting all my strawberry recipes. With the hot weather we’ve had in the past few weeks, I’ve been taking to making homemade ice cream. No, I don’t have an ice cream maker and no, I don’t even have a Kitchen-Aid stand mixer (yet)! It’s on my wishlist, so hopefully soon! For the time being, it’s old school style for me.
Summer means strawberries and ice cream, so what better combination than a strawberry ice cream cake? Only, I like to add a little je ne sais quoi and since I made a Coconut Vanilla ice cream the other day, I thought I’d incorporate that into the cake. A Strawberry Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream Cake!
Strawberry ice cream:
2 cups fresh strawberry, 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk, 1 cup coconut sugar. In my trusty Kitchen-Aid blender, I pureed the strawberries. Then I pressed the strawberry puree through a mesh strainer, catching all the seeds and collected the strawberry puree in a large bowl. I returned the puree to the blender, added coconut sugar and coconut milk, and blended. I transferred mixture into a freezer-safe container and put in freezer to set. Follow ice cream making steps in the NOTES section of the Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream recipe I posted the other day.
- 2 pints strawberry ice cream (see my homemade version above)
- 1 pint coconut vanilla ice cream
- 8 round shortbread cookies or a short bread crust
- strawberries to garnish
- unsweetened shredded coconut to garnish (I used half toasted and half not toasted)
- Line an 8 inch x 2.6 inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- Add a layer of shortbread cookies or a shortbread crust on the bottom.
- Add a layer of strawberry ice cream over the shortbread layer and set in freezer for at least 30 min.
- Add a layer of coconut vanilla ice cream over the strawberry ice cream layer and set in freezer for 30 min.
- Add the remaining strawberry ice cream over the set layer and keep in freezer (covered in plastic wrap) for a few hours to completely solidify. 4 hours is about the amount of time I leave mine in the freezer to set.
- When you are ready to serve, garnish ice cream cake with fresh strawberries and sprinkled shredded coconut. I used a bit of toasted shredded coconut because it makes the cake look pretty 🙂
This Strawberry Coconut Vanilla Ice Cream Cake will be a hit at your next dinner party!
Every year, we invite our friends and family to our farm for a huge BBQ. It’s a pretty big occasion. We provide the beverages and the meat, while everyone brings a dish (salad, side, dessert, etc). Along with our usual burgers, steaks, and sausages, I’m thinking of making the following for our big BBQ party next week!
For more recipes that will make your Summer patio/BBQ/outdoor entertaining a hit, check out Life Made Delicious!
Disclosure: I am part of the Life Made Delicious Blogger program and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.