May 2-4 is the Unofficial Start of Summer and Target Canada Makes Summer Living Easy.
The family road trip can be tough – often inching along as everyone hits the highway for the inaugural cottage visit or weekend away. To keep kids occupied (and drivers sane), be sure to pack the following:
- Snacks – keep a secret stash of goodies to make a long trip a bit more bearable (and fast food pit stops to a minimum). Target’s owned brands Market Pantry and Archer Farms have a variety of snack items including fruit strips, granola, chips and popcorn to snack on along the way
- Car friendly games – for long drives, best to pack some car friendly games and books to keep little ones occupied and entertained.
- iPad – make sure the family iPad is fully charged for tech savvy kids to quietly play their favourite games in the back.
- DVD – great for a rainy day or dull drive, pack favourite movies for the DVD player, such as The Rise of the Guardians, Mulan or The Lorax.
- Safety First – with so many cars on the highway, make sure to have a fully stocked first aid kit in the trunk.
May 2-4 often marks the opening of family cottages across the country. Load the family van with these essentials to ensure everyone has a great weekend together and is ready for the summer:
- Cottage comfies – Mother Nature doesn’t always cooperate for the long weekend. Be sure to pack warm clothes and blankets if temperatures drop at night. The Roots Outfitters for Target collection has hoodies and jogging pants for the whole family to keep warm round the campfire.
- Sun/Skincare – be sure to hit the pharmacy aisle to be prepped for the elements. Don’t forget sunscreen, bug spray and a first aid kit for the cottage and boat. Target’s Up and Up line has everything to stock the medicine cabinet with all essentials for the summer.
- Meals – bring foods that are easy to cook so you can spend more time outside having fun with family and friends. Frozen pizzas and chips and dips are easy items to have on hand for quick bites and easy but delicious appetizers for guests.
Canadians love to entertain outdoors and take advantage of beautiful summer-like weather. Target has everything from Bublé to bistro sets to make entertaining a breeze this season:
- Plastic makes perfect – with kids running around in bare feet, plastic dishes and stemware make entertaining outside stress free. Target’s Threshold collection carries colourful dishes and serving trays to create a beautiful outdoor tabletop.
- Accessorize – gardens and greenery provide a beautiful backdrop for any occasion. Add to the outdoors with seasonal accessories including bright patio rugs, umbrellas and pillows.
- Ambiance – set the mood with outdoor lanterns and low background music (but remember, sound travels!)
- Food – check the grocery aisle for quick and easy appetizers to pop in the oven as guests arrive. Archer Farms’ Spanakopita and Lobster and Cheese bites are crowd pleasers – just make sure you have enough on hand for seconds!
The following recipes are courtesy of Target Canada:
What you need:
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup roasted red pepper strips, divided
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- TRISCUIT Crackers
1. Process chickpeas, 1/2 cup cheese, 1/4 cup peppers and next 4 ingredients in food processor until smooth.
2. Spoon into serving bowl; top with remaining cheese and peppers.
3. Serve with crackers.
– Serve with TRISCUIT Thin Crisps or Archer Farms Tortilla Chips
– Two kinds of crunch: serve dip with cut-up fresh vegetable dippers in addition to crackers
What you need:
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 4 cups Honey Graham Crunch cereal
- 1 1/2 cups Market Pantry miniature marshmallows
- 1 (11.5 oz.) bag milk chocolate chips
1. Spray 8 or 9-inch square pan with cooking spray.
2. Melt butter in large saucepan over LOW heat; add 3 cups miniature marshmallows. Cook and stir until melted and smooth; remove from heat. Add cereal; mix until well coated.
3. Press firmly into prepared pan with the back of a buttered spoon or waxed paper. Sprinkle 1
1/2 cups miniature marshmallows in single layer over top.*
4. Heat chocolate chips in medium microwave-safe bowl on HIGH 1 minute; stir. Heat in additional 10 second increments until completely melted. Spread evenly over top of marshmallows. Let stand until chocolate is set. – Makes 16 bars
– If desired, toast marshmallows by heating under broiler a few minutes until lightly browned. Then drizzle with chocolate.
– This recipe can easily be doubled and made in a 13×9-inch pan. (You will need to purchase 2 bags of miniature marshmallows.) – Sprinkle over hot cereal.
– These make a great snack just served plain or mixed with dried fruit.
– Stir slightly crushed cereal into ice cream or frozen yogurt for a crunchy treat.
Open to residents of Canada. Ends June 3, 2013.