August long weekend is fast approaching. It feels as though school just let out, and all of a sudden, August long weekend is just around the corner! How on earth does that happen? Summer always seems so fleeting.
To savour the remainder of our Summer days, we like to BBQ and have friends and family over. If you’re looking for a great recipe to make, our eight year-old daughter came up with this beauty!
We are a bit obsessed with garlic scapes, and when I harvested our scapes, I made sure to save some for pickling and also for our freezer so we could enjoy the deliciousness of garlic scapes throughout the rest of the year. We love garlic scape season and wish it were longer!
I saw some scapes at the grocery store the other week, but the season is over, so finding scapes now may be a challenge. Thankful that we froze some for future use!
Another thing Little One is obsessed with is Summer Fresh Tzatziki. She puts it on almost everything!
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1½ inch pieces
- ¼ c olive oil
- ¼ c lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- salt & black pepper
- wooden skewers, soaked in water
- 6 garlic scapes, cut into 4 inch pieces
- cucumber slices
- Summer Fresh tzatziki
- flatbread or mini pitas
- In a medium sized bowl, add chicken pieces, oil, lemon juice, garlic and spices. Make sure meat is coated with the oil, lemon juice and spices. I usually let mine marinate overnight, but not necessary.
- Preheat outdoor grill on medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate.
- Take chicken pieces and place six pieces of meat per skewer.
- Cook chicken skewers on grill, turning frequently, making sure all sides are golden brown, and no longer pink on the inside -- About 10 minutes.
- In a grilling basket, while chicken skewers are cooking, roast garlic scapes with a bit of olive oil) until tender crisp.
- To assemble your sandwiches, remove chicken from skewers, and place a few chicken pieces in mini pita or flatbread, add garlic scapes, sliced cucmbers, and a generous helping of Summer Fresh tzatziki. Enjoy!
If you’re looking for a few quick sides, Little One really likes these salads:
- Summer Fresh Pasta Italiano has a little bit of a kick! My husband really likes this salad!
- Summer Fresh Greek Pasta Salad is my favourite. I love anything with feta and herb vinaigrette.
- Summer Fresh Couscous Salad is a great side if you have any vegans in your house. Couscous, chickpeas, peppers, vinaigrette…so good! Little One sometimes adds the couscous salad in her wraps.
Looking for some great recipes that take less than 10 minutes to prepare? Check out Summer Fresh’s Perfect Pairings entertaining ideas! There are so many quick and easy recipes we can make with Summer Fresh products! The options are endless!
For more recipes, visit summerfresh.com.
If you’re having family and friends over for your August long weekend BBQ, try Little One’s recipe! It’s quick, easy, and tasty!
Disclosure – This post was written in collaboration with Summer Fresh. All thoughts and opinions expressed on this blog are honest and my own.