With copious amounts of blueberries on hand, I was thinking of what to do with all of them. We’ve been eating them as is and adding them to our yogurt and oatmeal. Since Hubby had mentioned that I don’t bake as much as I did when we were dating, I thought a treat was in order. Plus, we were having friends over for dinner and a little treat to end the meal seemed fitting.
I’ve found that as I get older (yeah, I’m ancient!), my tastes have changed somewhat. When I was younger, I used to like sweet things. Now I enjoy tart and savoury. I used to love chocolate, but now I’m more of a lemon/lime fan. Since lemon and blueberry pair well, I decided to make a Blueberry Lemon Sour Cream Cake.
- 1 cup sour cream (I used Gay Lea sour cream)
- ¾ cup butter, softened (I used Gay Lea butter)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups blueberries
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbps freshly grated lemon rind
- 1 tsp vanilla (I used my homemade vanilla)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 12 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 tbsp milk (not skim milk)
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp freshly grated lemon rind
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter, eggs, sour cream, lemon juice, sugar, and lemon rind. Beat until smooth in consistency.
- Slowly incorporate the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix well until batter is smooth.
- Grease a 10" Bundt pan and add a layer of cake batter. Add a layer of blueberries. Repeat layer process two more times.
- Place cake pan in oven and bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes.
- Once cake is baked and removed from oven, let stand for 10 minutes before removing from cake pan.
- To prepare glaze, in a small bowl, add confectioner's sugar, milk, lemon juice, lemon rind and mix until smooth.
- Make sure cake is completely cooled before adding the glaze. To glaze, simply drizzle your lemon glaze over cake. Garnish with berries and fresh mint leaves if you wish.
There you have it! Blueberry Lemon Sour Cream Cake!